Monday, January 30, 2012

Prayer

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, LET US THANK HIM FOR OUR FOOD

When I learned to pray, this is usually what came out. A rehearsed version of the table prayer. I would thank Him for everything and ask Him for stuff I 'needed'. Since I was 5, I have learned that prayer is so much more than the action of speaking at God, it's the action of speaking to Him. It's not a list of items to check off:

"Dear God,
I pray for: fun, patience, good grades, a boyfriend, and more fun.
Love, Kathryn"

Prayer should be like you're talking to your best friend. We are called to have a relationship with Christ, which means we should talk to Him like we are in a relationship, not like He is a foreign object in the sky. Your prayers should come from the heart, not your head. And lets be real...God already knows what you are going through, what's on your mind, and what you are going to ask Him. I believe that all He wants from us is that love, that relationship. By talking to God, it's like keeping up with a friend. Even if this friend has already seen all your facebook posts or tweets, you still tell them all your news. Why don't we do the same with God? Why is it so hard for us talk to God instead of at Him? Why do we treat Him like dictator when He is a friend? Why do we expect ALL our prayers to be answered in our time? He knows us better than we know ourselves, He has our best interests in mind and He will fulfill His plan in His time. Trust God, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment